Tuesday 25 October 2016

Thing 1: Introduction to '23 research things'; Thing 2: Getting your blog started

This blog of mine was begun in 2010, when I took part in the Cambridge librarians' 23 things programme.  So in using it for my coursework in the 2016 '23 research things' programme, I'm taking it back to its roots.

What do I hope to get out of participation in '23 research things'? Not a nostalgic wallow in the joys of the first time round.  Firstness can never be recreated, by definition.  Instead, my hopes are these:

  • to update my knowledge of things I tried in 2010 and didn't adopt
  • to get a fresh perspective and fuller understanding of things I've used, with greater or lesser enthusiasm, since 2010
  • to expand my knowledge of things I really ought to have adopted by now, and make myself more useful

In 2011, a second Cambridge series of  '23 things' was aimed mainly at people who'd not done such a thing before, but some extra posts were included for participants who were veterans of the 2010 round.  I confined myself to those extras.  Time will tell whether, in 2016, I follow the entire course, or blog only about those things that are new to me.

Blogging reflectively will be quite an exercise.  I managed it in 2010 and 2011.  But my most reflective writing since then has been in the log I keep for my MCLIP revalidation, and that is not public.

Wish me luck in this balancing exercise!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard! I suspect you'll find the 23 Research Things programme slightly different to the original 23 Things one purely because this has more of a research emphasis. However, lots of interesting tools to learn about so I look forward to seeing how you get on with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed yes: the difference from the original, and specifically the research emphasis, are precisely the reasons why I am following this new one.

    ReplyDelete